Kalamazoo, MI asked in Civil Rights and Criminal Law for Michigan

Q: Can winning a civil case be used to overturn a criminal conviction?

Can a civil case win be introduced as new evidence in a criminal case and get a conviction overturned?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Good question! But no, a civil and criminal are two different tracks. The main reason being is the vastly different burden of proof. In criminal matters, you are dealing with "beyond a reasonable doubt", which is like 90% certainty. In civil matters, you are most often dealing with preponderance of the evidence, which is like 51% certainty.

Looking at it in strictly math terms, 51% will never be greater than 90%.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.