Phoenix, AZ asked in Family Law and Child Support for Arizona

Q: Do I need to appear for an ORA if I was never served

My ex doesnt want to pay child support so he wants full custody. I have been primary parent from the beginning. There is an ORA and I have yet to receive anything.

He states he doesn't know where i live but he picks our children up from our home every Thursday.

Why is there a date and i have not been served?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mike Branum
Mike Branum
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: There are a couple of potential reasons how a date could have been set without you being properly served. The why is not relevant to the discussion. If you are aware of a court date, it is in your best interest to show up. You can argue that you have not been properly served but the court will have jurisdiction over you when you do. If you do not show up, you risk having a default judgment entered against you and then you would be forced to have the judgment set aside for lack of personal service. You would likely win, but you or your attorney would have to do a lot of work to get it done.

You certainly have strong grounds to have your matter continued to another date since you have not been properly served.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.