Omaha, NE asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Nebraska

Q: I am 18 , my mom wants me to move to New Mexico with her from Omaha. I don’t want to

There is substance / drug abuse involved. I have a family in Omaha who is willing to take me in. My mother has no job and she is living with someone in Hobbs. The age of majority in Hobbs is 18. Meaning I can leave Hobbs if I want. Do I have to go to Hobbs or can I stay in Omaha? If I can stay in Omaha what do I have to do.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: In Nebraska, a parent has both the authority and responsibility to choose where their child resides until the child is 19 years old. Generally the age of majority is governed by residence. If a child is residing in another state, then that age of residency applies. That being said, if there is a custody order in place, the age of majority for custody and child support purposes generally remains the same even if the parties move to another state.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.