Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Florida

Q: I'm trying desperately to move out of state with my child but want to do it legally. The father refuses to work with me.

He will not budge on any terms except his own. I'm trying to move to an are where my last blood relatives are. We agreed for me to temporarily work out of state and bring the child with me during the summer. Now that school has started back, he is refusing to even let me talk with the child. What can I do to make this move possible with so much opposition? Can he refuse contact like he is without any standing court orders? We are unmarried but he does have his name on the birth certificate. What can I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You do not mention if you have been to court for paternity. If you have then you need to apply to that court for relocation. If you have never been to court for paternity (or child support) then the mother has 100%rights to do what she wants, with the child, including moving.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.