Philadelphia, PA asked in Traffic Tickets for Pennsylvania

Q: Should I try to get the points dropped from my speeding ticket?

I received a speeding ticket a few days ago. I was driving 58 mph in a 35 mph and got clocked by a speed trap. I received a ticket carrying 2 points. The officer wrote the ticket for driving 45 mph in a 35 mph and gave 2 points instead of 4 to "save us both a trip to court". He did write in the notes "Actual speed 58 mph".

I have never received points on my driving record before, no accidents, etc. I am relatively young (23) and fear that this will jack up my insurance. I am willing to pay the fine amount but want to know if it's risky to plead not guilty, show up to the court, and attempt to make a deal involving paying the fine and dropping the points from my record. Is this a risky move? Could I wind up getting more points AND paying the fine? Thanks!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Wyomissing, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: The cop was trying to cut you a break. If it's a state trooper no way will they drop anything. Even a local obviously felt that if you were doing 23 over that you need to get something more than a no points. A district justice will likely note that the cop was trying to be lenient and decide to give you the full amount. If it is a local officer suggest you try speaking with him. If he says no, he means it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.