Fairview Heights, IL asked in Criminal Law

Q: Arrested for marijuana over a year ago, went to court last year found out no indictment issued yet. Keep calling 3 mo.

Mixed up months, didn't call, missed indictment date, now warrant issued. Called court told best thing to do is turn myself in the day before next court date. Will try to get to my case if not I have to stay in jail for three months until next court date. Was told I would get probation and fine but this is a felony charge. I live out of state. Trying to figure out best course of action. Can't really afford an attorney, would public defender even try and keep this from going on my record? Is drug court an option since I live out of state?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL

A: If you will not trust an attorney who represents you, then why would trust the recommendation of an attorney whose only connection to you is an electronic response

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.