Omaha, NE asked in Child Custody for Nebraska

Q: My ex husband asked for a guardian ad litem. We had one when we got divorced.

She doesn't return my calls or emails, but she emails me with his concerns. I'm supposed to pay half of her fees. My daughters say she doesn't let them talk.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: I'm not sure what your question is. Are you asking if there is a way to get a different guardian ad litem appointed? Generally, the court won't grant a party's request to change the guardian ad litem. Usually the person the court appoints is a person that the judge is familiar with as judges tend to appoint the same people to serve as the GAL on their cases. If you haven concerns that the GAL is not responding to you or hearing out the children, be sure to bring up your concerns to your attorney. Your attorney should be able to address these concerns with you, and possibly, also with the GAL directly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.