Cincinnati, OH asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Ohio

Q: my ex wife makes over 80,000 a year and has remarried. I make 36,400 annually. I have to pay my ex 500 a month?

ex wife and mother of our 3 children makes a significantly larger amount of money to me. technically with her two jobs (professor and nurse) she makes over 100k. I just recently got a job making 36,400 a year. the divorce paperwork says im to pay 500 a month in child support (shared parenting, I see them every Tuesday and Thursday evening and every other weekend plus whenever I can when when is asked of me). im trying to move closer to the children, but the 500 a month keeps me living with my parents 35mi. away. Our decree also states I'm to move into their district within 5 years. in order to see my children through the week I need to move closer, and I'm not going to be able to with the current financial obligation... we've been divorced for 2 years. she recently took that away overnight stays from me through the week(she agreed to overnights off the court docs) if I move closer I get them back! please help. just want to know if i still have rights.

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Ohio recently changed its child support calculation, so you should check that. Use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local family law attorney who can review all the facts and advise you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.