Falls Church, VA asked in Immigration Law for Virginia

Q: The question in regards to a family base visa for my mother in law. How to properly fill i864 and attorneys accuracy?

I have a general inquire in regards of filing documents for my mother-in-law. My wife is a US citizen and we have completed the I-130 and have the supporting documents, including the translation. We are trying to send the I-864 affidavit for support at the same time, however, we are finding it very difficult to complete it since we have a bit of a situation. My mother in law is married to someone who is not my wife's father; and they got married after my wife's 18th birthday. My mother in law also has 3 children under the age of 21. If my wife is to request them will take too long for them come. Another possibility was for my mother in law to request them after she becomes a legal resident, but it will take roughly 2 years. My mother in law is concern about leaving her family for 2 years. Another attorney told me that there could be another way for us to try and request them while my mother-in-laws papers are in process by sending a letter to the state department. Accurate?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen Arnold Black
Stephen Arnold Black
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Orlando, FL

A: This case is very complicated and should be handled by counsel. Dont try to do it yourself. If you pursue a strategy that doesnt work out, then you will have wasted thousands of dollars on USCIS/Consulate filing fees and many months if not years of delay. Discuss with counsel.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.