Columbus, OH asked in Immigration Law for Ohio

Q: Can I marry girlfriend who overstayed her visa in Ohio?

Me and my girlfriend have been together for four years now and I would like to marry her. she has SSN but she doesn't have ID. Can I still marry her? Is it possible that she might get arrest?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen Arnold Black
Stephen Arnold Black
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Orlando, FL

A: If you are a US citizen and her sponsoring husband, and she entered the country legally, she may be able to adjust status to get her green card despite that she has overstayed her visa. Discuss with counsel about other issues that could be a bar to admission like criminal history, health issues, etc. Some of us charge very affordable flat fees for immigration cases and counsel anywhere in the USA can represent you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.