Basking Ridge, NJ asked in Landlord - Tenant for New Jersey

Q: If I pay back the money owed to my landlord does it void the cease letter

My landlord gave us a cease letter approximately three weeks ago we paid him some money to bring down our debt and now he’s trying to say that because they gave us the cease letter he can evict us whenever he wants is this true

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter A. Michael
Peter A. Michael
  • Jersey City, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: That is not true. Your landlord cannot evict you without first bringing you to court on a summons and complaint for non-payment of rent. At the day of court which is the trial date, your back due rent amount is due.If you are unable to pay the whole amount, your landlord has the option of entering into a payment agreement with you or potentially allotting you a certain amount of time to move out (tenant vacate agreement). If your Landlord will not into any deals with you, then you will be forced to go before a Judge and the Landlord will win a judgment of possession (if you do not have the whole amount due and owing).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.