Nashville, TN asked in Criminal Law for Tennessee

Q: Can co-defense counsel prejudice a co-defendants trial?

Co-defense counsel stated that the co-defendant was the shooter during questioning of a key state witness during trial.

Mr. Kent Thomas Jones Esq.
Mr. Kent Thomas Jones Esq.
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Cleveland, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: I thought about you the other day. Allen has a billion point thing. I l'll try to talk to you later. I really wish that the Elton John thing could happen. Sincerely, Kent.

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: It does happen, and this is where mistrials, post-conviction proceedings, and board complaints come from. A jury instruction will probably not adequately cure that. The offended co-counsel should have known that was possible testimony to be brought out. Rarely would it be beyond a possibility that would come out.