Cartersville, GA asked in Workers' Compensation for Georgia

Q: Can I have an Attorney draw up a release form in lieu of getting workers comp insurance for my business?

I own a small owner operated carpet cleaning service in Kingston Ga. I do a great deal of work for property management companies. A few of the companies are asking for a workers comp policy from me. Since I am the only employee and the workers comp will not cover me, can I have an attorney draw up a release form whereby I agree to not hold the management company liable for any injury that may occur?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ken Shigley
Ken Shigley
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You could try that. I would if it mattered. Whether those companies -- and more likely their insurance companies and risk managers who are driving this request -- would accept that is another matter. It may be not so much a question of law as a question of their risk management practices.

If you wanted to cover yourself under workers comp, you probably could. The firm in which I was a partner decades ago elected to cover partners under workers comp. The next year, I had a back injury on a business trip and was covered. In my law office now, which is also too small for workers compensation insurance to be required, I buy WC coverage anyway. We have never had a claim and probably never will, but if a valued employee were hurt going to the courthouse, I would be glad she was covered.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.