Meriden, CT asked in Probate for Maryland

Q: How do we handle a case involving a trust fund in Maryland while we are living in another state?

My wife's brother administers her trust fund in Maryland, but we live in another state from him. Recently, she feels he is not administering it properly and that we need legal assistance. Her brother has stated that the trust fund will not pay for a lawyer if we do. The fund is her only income at the moment, and we cannot reduce the amount of the principle (otherwise, it will reduce the amount my wife gets and that is trouble for us) so we would need pro bono. Is there a way we can do this, or are we pretty well up a creek here?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: If you hire a lawyer and succeed in getting a court to replace her as trustee, at that time the trust will most likely have the right and ability to reimburse you for your attorney fees. But if you lose, you bear the expense.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.