Bronx, NY asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Pennsylvania

Q: In PA. My wife has an investment account created during the marriage. Can she will it all away or am I entitled to it?

Money was from a malpractice suit that occurred during the marriage. She placed the money in stocks and bonds and she set it up to go to her family upon death. Can a marital asset be willed away from a spouse at death? We used funds from the account for a down payment on a second house and have used some of the money for marital assets. She states she has given me enough and wants remaining to go to her family upon her death.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Karen Ulmer Pendergast
Karen Ulmer Pendergast
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Langhorne, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: In the event of death, a spouse may will their assets to anyone, however, the spouse has an elective share of 1/3 of the assets. This means that if your spouse leaves you less than 1/3, you can elect against the will to get the 1/3 of the assets.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.