New York, NY asked in Landlord - Tenant for New Jersey

Q: My tenant that hasn't paid the rent for the last month of his lease. What type of notice do I send him?

I have already sent him a Notice to Cease 2/12/19 & a Notice of Non-Renewal on 8/16/19. I am concerned that if i send him a 30 Day Notice to Quit the whole process will take an additional month and a half to remove him from the property.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter A. Michael
Peter A. Michael
  • Jersey City, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Has your tenant moved out of the property?

For a non-payment of rent issue, you do not have to wait. The state of New Jersey does not require legal notice or an allotted time period of waiting prior to filing a summons and complaint with the NJ Courts for Non-Payment of rent. If your tenant has already moved out of the property, you will have to take the tenant to civil court for the back due and owing rent amount. My firm offers a free in office consultation for your case. Feel free to contact me at anytime!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.