Los Angeles, CA asked in Civil Litigation, Contracts and Real Estate Law for California

Q: How can I keep the apartment I am living at if I am an occupant and the lease holder cannot pay their share of rent?

I am an occupant at an apartment on a month to month lease. The lease holder cannot pay her share of rent and is a extremely negligent of the place, she wont report damages in fear of receiving an eviction notice. She is constantly breaking the rules of the lease. I pay for half of the apartment but only use my bedroom. I am able to pay the full rent on my own. She was suppose to turn over the apartment when she went off to college out of state, but instead moved in her drug addict boyfriend to hold down the apartment for her (And did not inform the leasing office). I have gotten renter's insurance to make sure my things do not get damaged by her or her delinquent friends. I do not want to move and I know she cannot continue paying her part of the rent. What can I do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick

A: Talk to the landlord about this situation. Unless I miss my guess, your former roommate cannot just leave and let her boyfriend move in--because his name is NOT on the lease. Your landlord will know what to do.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.