Lakeland, FL asked in Civil Rights, Estate Planning, Elder Law and Probate for Michigan

Q: My husbands dad passed away last year. His wife their step mom has the house. A niece came into the picture and took poa

They moved her to Mississippi. Now the niece is refusing to let my husband and his brother into the house to get their dads personal stuff. She even sent a detailed email stating we could go in. Then called and retracted the email verbally. What are the rights of my husband and his brother. If any,

2 Lawyer Answers
Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL

A: No attorney can opine without reviewing the will

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: There are not enough facts provided to answer your question. All I can say is if his dad did not have a will then your husband is way more likely to have inherited from him than the niece but the wife will have inheritance rights too. Your best course of action is to schedule a consultation with a probate attorney in the state where his dad lived.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.