Paxton, NE asked in Family Law for Nebraska

Q: Interesting in finding out what options a 16 year old in Nebraska and if they can legally live somewhere else

Interested in finding out the options for a 16 year old in Nebraska who is living in an abusive household

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: If a child is being abused or neglected, every person has a legal duty to report the abuse or neglect to the child abuse hotline. The number is (800) 652-1999. If it is determined that a child is being abuse or neglect, it could result in removal of the child from the home, services provided to the family, among other options.

If a child has concerns regarding their home life, they should contact a parent (or the other parent), other family member, school teacher or counselor, or other trusted adult. If the child is being abused or neglect, it should result in a report the child abuse hotline. If it does not rise to that level but the child is unhappy in the home, there may be counseling or other services available to help improve the child's home life.

Absent a finding of abuse or neglect, the parents of a child have the legal authority and responsibility to decide where their child lives. Thus, a child can live outside the parent's home only with the parent's consent.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.