Columbus, OH asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Ohio

Q: What can I do about wanting to leave my home?

I am 14 years old and I live in Ohio. My grandparents have had custody of me for a long time and I want to live with my mom. She is a recovered drug addict and has been clean for over four years. I am very close to running away if I cant legally leave my home. I am sick and tired of getting treated unfairly or as if I am not worth their time, or I am the worst person on this earth.

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Please talk to a teacher, school counselor, or other trusted adult about your situation. If grandparents have legal custody, then if you leave, you can get in trouble. To do it properly, your mother will have to file with the court to try to regain legal custody. Talk to her about that.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.