Asked in Landlord - Tenant and Civil Rights for Oregon

Q: Moved in May 2018: can landlord terminate my 12 month lease for Weekend Visitation w/ 7yr old daughter.

I received an email asking whether or not a small child lives in my house. We have we can visitation with my husband 7 year old daughter. Landlord commanded custody agreement paperwork be given to her for her examination. Upon receiving she emailed all responses to her conclusion of terminating our newly signed 12 month lease agreement because we did not add daughter's name to our lease agreement. We did not receive 50/50 custody until we were already living In house, so the visition hadn't started until 5 months into tenants tenure. We Have exhausted all attempts to rectify and even ask for written permission to see my husband's daughter, We were denied the approval of written permission and told that our leases terminated and we need to move pie October 31st. All of this was documented in the email from where no conversations have been On the phone or in person

Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: Whether a landlord can prohibit further visitation likely depends upon the exact wording of your lease. Even if they can, your posting raises questions as to whether they are trying to terminate your tenancy lawfully. Consider reviewing both issues with a local landlord-tenant attorney to learn your rights and how to best proceed.