Perth Amboy, NJ asked in Estate Planning and Probate for New Jersey

Q: My dad just passed away in PR. He only lived there 16 months, I am one of 3 of his children. What steps are needed now?

My dad inherited property which is being lived in by a family member. My dad also received an inheritance when his mother passed away. Since he lived most of his life in NJ, must I go through probate process in both NJ and PR? He did not have a will and death was sudden and unexpected.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: You need to hire a probate attorney in PR for certain, because the main probate occurs where the decedent resided when he died. You will also need to open an ancillary probate in every other state in which the decedent owned property, using local probate attorneys.

This is just one of many reasons why trust-based estate planning is superior to will-based estate planning. Trust-based estate planning, if done correctly, avoids probate everywhere.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.