Sandusky, OH asked in Divorce, Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Ohio

Q: What are my rights in this case?

I had a dissolution of our marriage two and a half years ago. We have a three year old daughter. We have shared custody. I get her every other weekend. I pay child support and allow the mother to claim her on taxes every year. My problem is when we got divorced she upped and moved 2 and a half hours away. At the time i allowed it because i felt bad about the divorce and everything but it has become a huge problem. its a 5 hour round trip to get my daughter, plus i don't get her at all during the week because of the distance. She was born in the city i live in, we married in this city. I am established here have owned my house for 6 years and have been at my job for 10. My daughter also has two sets of grandparents around here. Where she moved to she rents, does not work and has no family or ties to the city. She moved just because. I would like to be more involved in my daughters life, im not asking to be neighbors but just be within 50 miles of me so that i can be a more involved

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: If that is what you agreed to in the dissolution and for her relocation, then you will have to try for a change. Use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local family law attorney to discuss the situation and your options for negotiating a change of the parenting schedule with your ex, or filing with the court asking it to make changes.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.