Asked in Domestic Violence for Ohio

Q: I was in abusive relationship a year ago, but never made any reports can I get a protection order against my ex?

I fear for my life and children’s lives because I know what he is capable of, I never reported him because he would always threaten me if I was to call cops so nothing is on file but he keeps talking bad about me and spreading rumors and trying to get people to add me on fb and trying to get information out of me, we have a baby together but with him being abusive and was doing drugs I don’t feel safe for him to see our child and he was also being mean to my other child.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: It is unlikely that you could get a protection order for things that happened a year ago. If you were never married, you are the sole custodian of the child, and you do not have to permit him to see your children. He would have to go to court to prove paternity and obtain parental rights, but you could ask the court that those visits be supervised. Whether or not he files for parental rights, you can file for child support. If he makes threats, report it to the police. Seek help and advice from local women's groups that help women in domestic violence situations.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.