Asked in Divorce for Georgia

Q: Can I be held responsible for a loan my ex-husband opened after our divorce?

I divorced 2 years ago. In my divorce decree I was awarded my home. My ex-husband was to pay it off and sign it solely over to me. The bank it was financed through showed up at my house telling me that the payment were a couple of months behind. If I couldn't come up with the $4500.00 left owed on it they were going to reposes it. I wasn't able to get the $4500 and lost my home. The bank sent me a letter stating that whatever they sold the home for over what was owed I would get back. After almost 3 months of emails & calls I finally got an answer from them on if they had sold it or not yet. The bank said that yes it was sold and the remaining money went to paying off a loan my ex-husband opened after we divorced. Can they do that considering I had no debt and was awarded the home in my divorce? Also why should money's that are mine pay off anything he purchased after our divorce. I would appreciate in help this matter. Signed single mom of 2

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Homer P Jordan IV
Homer P Jordan IV
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: I’m sorry you are going through this. You should consult with an attorney who can review the documents and facts of the case and present you with the options. -Homer P. Jordan IV, Esq. 404-620-1558

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.