Chicago, IL asked in Child Custody for Georgia

Q: Do I have the legal right to go get my son.

I'm the non custodial and ex husband is the custodial I just found out my son is leaving with a friend's family From school for 2 months the father is not in the home with our child. He hasn't returned any calls. I called cps and the police to do welfare check. My son is ok ( out of their mouths) last time I spoke to my son was m onday. Since then the family has changed their number. Do I have the legal right to go get my son. I tried calling the school I am not on the contact list. Concerned Mother

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You do not have the legal right to just go get him. You could be arrested for that. You need to contact an attorney about filing for a modification.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.