Buffalo, NY asked in Divorce and Family Law for New York

Q: co-owned vehicle in a divorce in NY State

I own a car with my wife that is fairly new, it is worth ~$23,000 and the loan remaining is $13,000. she wants to keep the car, and I am OK with that but want my name off of both the title and bank loan and I want to her to buy me out for the difference owed and worth divided in half ($5,000). 1) What is the best way to get this accomplished in a divorce settlement? 2) Also, since she is currently driving the car while we negotiate the divorce, she is responsible for the loan payments per the judge, but she has already missed a payment, what can I do about this?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
  • Garden City, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: The only way your name will come off the bank loan is if your ex to be takes out a new loan in her name alone or the current bank agrees to it (which is unlikely). As for the missed payment, you can make the payment and claim reimbursement for it as part of your settlement (as it affects your credit also at this time). If there are further missed payments you can bring on a contempt application for failing to follow the judge's order. Everything should be spelled out in your divorce agreement.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.