Carrollton, GA asked in Divorce and Criminal Law for Georgia

Q: I need a divorce! I'm disabled. Seperated for 5 years. Husband is in Florida, I'm in GA. He refuses to communicate.

I'm dealing with serious medical issues and don't qualify for many programs due to consideration of his income. He has moved and I don't have an address. I can't afford a lawyer or even filing fees. He had promised to file if I left him his truck which I purchased. I need to put this behind me. He was an abusive alcoholic with whom I survived 25 years. He spent every dime I inherited from my family and had no use for me once the money was gone. I am legally blind, have am above the knee amputation, receive a small amount of social security disability which is not enough to live on. I live with family friends who largely pay my expenses. Do I have any options?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Homer P Jordan IV
Homer P Jordan IV
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: I’m sorry you are going through this. You do need some legal assistance to move forward with the divorce. You should contact legal aide to see if they can help, and you can contact the state bar and ask if there are any pro bono attorneys in your area. -Homer P. Jordan IV, Esq. 404-620-1558

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.