Millersville, MD asked in Banking, Civil Litigation and Collections for Maryland

Q: In Maryland our joint account was served with a writ of garnishment however only of of us is the judgment debtor.

Is it worth trying to get the frozen account taken care of through the collections/law firm or should I go to court and immediately file a motion to release? Does my wife have a case for damages as we cannot currently pay rent, insurance, food etc..

1 Lawyer Answer
Cedulie Renee Laumann
Cedulie Renee Laumann
  • Business Law Lawyer
  • Crownsville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: An online post cannot give a detailed answer on the best steps to take in a particular situation. The law offers some protection, but it is not automatic.

Generally speaking, if an account is owned as TENANTS BY THE ENTIRETY, in most situations a judgment creditor of only one spouse cannot lawfully seize the property. That is because in the eyes of the law the husband and wife as a separate entity own it. However, if an account is owned as JOINT TENANTS or TENANTS IN COMMON, a judgment creditor may be able to seize up to 1/2 (or whatever portion the debtor spouse owns based on the number of joint owners).

Unfortunately a general hardship does not exempt property from seizure. The law allows certain exemptions from garnishment, but these are not automatic. Maryland allows an individual to exempt up to $6,000 worth of property from garnishment, but to get the benefit the judgment debtor must promptly file with the court to proclaim the property as exempt from garnishment.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.