Milton, FL asked in Civil Litigation for Florida

Q: Received Order Taxing Costs from Oklahoma but I'm resident in Florida. Is order enforceable in this state?

We lived in Oklahoma 2012-2017, since then residents of Florida. Back in 2013, my wife filled a discrimination claim which lasted 6 yrs. recently; we receive an “Order Taxing Costs” (below). As residents of Florida do we have to comply with an out of Jurisdiction Order?


On May 13, 2019, the Court entered a Judgment (Dkt. No. 15) consistent with its Order

and Opinion (Dkt. No. 14) granting Defendant’s amended motion for summary judgment.

Additionally, on October 30, 2019, the Court entered an Order (Dkt. No. 19) denying Plaintiff’s

motion to alter or amend the previously entered Judgment. On May 28, 2019, Defendant filed a

Bill of Costs (Dkt. No. 16) in the amount of $1,489.00 for fees associated with this litigation.

Defendant requests $1,468.75 for transcript fees and $20.25 for printing fees. No objection has

been filed by Plaintiff to the Bill of Costs...

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Tallahassee, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Unless you make arrangements to pay these court costs to the defendant--or respond to the defendant's motion and Bill of Costs and try to litigate the issue of how much in costs is actually owed--the Oklahoma Court will soon enter an Oklahoma Judgment against you.

That Judgment will become enforceable against you--by the defendant, not the Court--after the time for appeal has run. The Judgment will also earn interest from the date entered forward--for the benefit of the defendant--until it is paid--or cancelled by the defendant or settled by you and the defendant.

If the defendant decides to enforce the Oklahoma Judgment against you here in Florida--or in any other state in the United States--they can do so by availing themselves of the "Full Faith and Credit Clause" of the Constitution of the United States.

Terrence H Thorgaard agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.