Goshen, IN asked in Bankruptcy for Indiana

Q: if I am 17 and live in Indiana how do I go about getting emancipated without informing my parents

I am 17, attend goshen high school, and am wanting to move out

two of my brothers are in probation for sexually assaulting my younger sisters

my stepmom has a criminal history and has had cps called on her 3 times

i have been physically, mentally, and verbally abused

i have done a bit of research and talked to my school social worker but with just turning 17 yesterday (11/13) i don't have a say without legal involvement

in the state of indiana there is a way of getting emancipated without the involvement of my parents and i'd be willing to give the reason if needed. i have made housing arrangements and the staff at my school are aware of the issues at home.

about a month ago i got into a bit of a pickle with my parents, after being granted permission to leave with no given amount of time my parents filled a runaway report, at this time i was 16, so far nothing has been done with this.

i'd like to know how to get emancipated legally

i chose the wrong category by accidentally

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stuart Nachbar
Stuart Nachbar
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Livingston, NJ

A: So why did you post this in Bankruptcy? Try reposting in Family Law

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.