Santa Cruz, CA asked in Estate Planning and Real Estate Law for California

Q: I need to transfer my property from a trust to myself after the death of my mother. I don’t know how to do this .

My mother passed 5 years ago. She gave me the house upon her death, it was in the family trust before this. I need to change the title.

1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN
  • Licensed in California

A: The best way to do this is to hire an attorney to assist you. Most estate planning and trust administration attorneys (such as myself) do this on a regular basis. The fee is usually quite affordable compared to the litany of problems you could experience in the future if this is not done correctly.

I am also licensed in California.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.