Midland, MI asked in Family Law for Michigan

Q: I have reason to believe that my niece is being exposed to significant amounts of mold while she is visiting her father.

It may be black mold. I have demanded my sister, who is no longer with him, report it so the State can get involved to ensure the house is safe for my niece and to cover herself from any legal problems. But I do not trust that she will. I'm in Michigan, what can I do if she doesn't report it like she said she will. Will the State investigate it if I report it? Or only if my sister, my nieces mother reports it.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Anyone may make a complaint to Child Protective Services (CPS). They have a duty to investigate all complaints. What they do from there is in their hands.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.