Charlotte, NC asked in Family Law and Child Custody for North Carolina

Q: My son's father had a temporary custody order that was dismissed November 13th of this year. He want let me get my son.

Family court dismissed the order against me. But my son's father still refuses to let me have my son. My son is being neglected And possibly abused because his father is a alcoholic. How can I get my son back.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Houser
Amanda Bowden Houser
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: If there is no order currently in place, he has as much right to the child as you do so he can refuse to let you get the child (although that will make him look bad in future court hearings if he does not have proper cause for the refusal). So you need to get a custody order of your own if you want to force him to hand over the child. Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.