Mason, OH asked in Landlord - Tenant for Ohio

Q: In the state of Ohio are there any laws against a home owner (ex fiance) throwing my personal belongings out in the rain

5 year relationship I paid 100% of down payment and closing cost. He is the loan holder. Do I have any rights? Other than being trusting and stupid. Can he just throw my belongings out and change the locks

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: If you name is not on the deed, then you were a tenant. You can sue him for wrongful eviction and the cost of the damaged property. You can file a claim in small claims court up to $6000. Check the local court web site for the forms and process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.