Sacramento, CA asked in Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for California

Q: Deaf child abused by interpreter at school, caught on schools cameras, what do we do?

my special needs(born deaf) stepdaughter was assaulted by her interpreter at school... Incident was caught on video which I understand is pretty disturbing. The police called her mother at work and asked her to come to the school and showed her the footage...Apparently there have been complaints about this interpreter by another family and nothing was done and this may have been going on for a while...What can we do

1 Lawyer Answer
Louis George Fazzi
Louis George Fazzi
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Jess Ranch, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You will need to locate and retain a lawyer who is knowledgeable in special needs school children cases. Your case sounds like an assault and battery claim, but you will need to file a claim against the school district and the school and the person involved not later than 6 months after the event occurred to protect your daughter's right to sue for the damage done to her.

You should also have her examined immediately by a psychologist who focuses on children's issues, particularly handicapped student's issues such as your step-daughter. I'm sure you can find one who can handle deaf clients such as your daughter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.