Columbus, OH asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Michigan

Q: Can i file a motion for custody within the child's home state, but from a different county within that state?

I live in central Ohio, my ex lives in northern Michigan with my children. I would like to file the custody motion from a different county in Michigan so that me and my ex both travel the same distance. Otherwise, I have to travel 8 hours one way and he only travels 15 minutes. I end up having to take time off of work to make the trip.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: No. Venue - or the proper court to file - typically depends on what county the child resides in. There are some other factors that help determine venue. But you certainly cannot file in a county just because it happens to be a halfway point, as that court would have no jurisdiction.

A court order or an agreement between you and your ex could state that parenting time exchanges occur at some halfway point. That is a quite common provision with parents in adjacent states especially.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.