Cincinnati, OH asked in Landlord - Tenant for Ohio

Q: How do i put my money in escrow for repairs not being done if county clerk states he doesn't own my house?

landlord has failed to do all repairs: ac/heat flooring, plumbing. There are mths that he will say pay me $300 TODAY. He will send an email confirming. I went to put my money in escrow and was told he is not the owner/landlord so it would be difficult to do that since the business that is listed no longer exists. he has threatened to evict me when i tell him im not paying him until he fixes things or if I dont send money right then. He has stated that someone is the prop mgr of his rentals but they only handle other homes and he will continue to handle mine when i ask for further info.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Report the problems to the local building dept. If you don't have a lease or are month to month, give 30 day notice to terminate so you can move.

Check the address on the county auditor web site to determine who is the owner. If that owner no longer exists, then somebody has to own it. If you don't pay him, he won't be able to do an eviction if he does not own it. Use the Find a Lawyer tab to review the situation and advise you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.