Queensbury, NY asked in Social Security for New York

Q: Someone pushed through the cracks how can I win my claim?

I was diagnosed with ADHD at the age of 11. It has caused me much issues throughout my life. My parents probably should have filed for disability as a young age but didn't. I left home with the age of 16 have been struggling since I am now 36 years old. I have had a few jobs none of them lasting too long. because of my issues specifically social phobia I do not see a doctor regularly as it's hard for me to leave the house. I'm not sure how to prove my disability and how to stick up for myself because I don't have anyone to stick up for me. Like I said have a long line disorders where do I go from here? Specifically on paper I am diagnosed with ADHD, social phobia, PTSD, anxiety disorder, depression, and have a history of asthma. I also have sciatica really bad and was prescribed opiates one time to which I became addicted and am now in treatment. Not sure if that counts but thought I should share. I am desperate I will never work again and I don't know how to contribute to my household

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: I'm sorry for the ordeal you are going through. A good starting point could be to contact attorneys who handle social security disability cases and discuss your situation in confidence with one. You could learn if you qualify for benefits, and as to your question of proving a disability, evidence of that would be provided by the medical documentation and testimony of examining physicians. You could look up attorneys on this site, or through your own independent searches. I hope things take a turn for the better for you. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.