Chino, CA asked in Juvenile Law for California

Q: I found out my minor has been stealing from me for the past three months, I have all the evidence. Can i press charges?

I never noticed money was being taken from my account. It sums up to more than $2,500. I have all many receipts with her name on it to things she purchased. I live in california and want them put in a juvenile detention center. How do i do this?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David Stephen Kestenbaum
David Stephen Kestenbaum
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Van Nuys, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You don't "press charges" you make a police report. They take it to the District Attorney who reviews the reports and decides what charges to file. Depending upon his prior record, if any, he will either get Home on Probation or Diversion. If this is not his first time, he may be given custody time...

Start with the police first.

Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.