Omaha, NE asked in Child Custody for Nebraska

Q: My son's dad is in prison for drug related charges. How can I get full custody?

There is history of abuse, towards me, but with the child in the room. I am not trying to terminate his rights, just would like full custody as I fear what may happen when he gets out. I don't know where to begin and I don't have a lot of money to spend on a lawyer.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: If you want a custody order, you should file a custody action. If the other parent is incarcerated, there may not be much to fight about and the action will likely be fairly straightforward. Thus, the attorney fees will likely be very affordable. If you are of limited means, you may want to try contacting Legal Aid, the Nebraska Bar Association's Volunteer Lawyer's Project, or a similar service for an attorney. There are also some forms available on the Nebraska Supreme Court's website.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.