Omaha, NE asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Nebraska

Q: For the last 9 years, I've had primary custody of my 3 children. Now my ex is suing for sole custody.

8 months ago I told my family I had a problem abusing pain meds. I asked my ex to take our kids for a week while I worked on myself. He then filed a temporary order giving him full custody. I have never been in trouble with the law, my kids are happy, healthy. I was prescribed these for many years, and then I didn't know how to stop without asking for help. He's now suing for sole custody. He has previous felonies, was not in their lives for the first 5 year, and owes 9years worth of back child support. My kid's ages are 9, 11, and 14. I have been in counseling, on methodone, and sober with drug tests to prove it since this all started. I live with my fiancee who has no record, works 3 jobs. Bought a house after judge ordered we have new place to live in ops school district so they wouldn't have to change schools. Went to court and was told my home didn't fall within a certain radius of the school so now they have to change schools after the holiday. Why is he likely to win the battl

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: The Court will look at the specific factors of the case when deciding custody. The Court will look at these when deciding which parent to give custody or potentially joint custody. You will want to retain an attorney to present you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.