New York, NY asked in Divorce and Child Support for Massachusetts

Q: My college child has moved back in with me mother moved out of state do I still have to pay child support

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
  • Woburn, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: It sounds like you will need a Modification in order to terminate the child support to mother. Are you still living in the original state where your orders issued from? If so, then the Court still has jurisdiction over the child support. If the "college" child is over 18 but not yet 21, not in full time employment and principally dependent upon you then he or she is an unemancipated adult and there would be child support order for mother to pay you under Massachusetts law- check with a NY attorney to see what child support cut offs apply. If the child has attained age 23 or has graduated from college, then there would be a Modification and termination, but check with NY attorney for their laws.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.