Asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Child Support and Juvenile Law for Texas

Q: a runaway teen

im 17, almost 18 in a couple of months. i was taken from cps at around the age 11 maybe and then lived with my grandma because she took my custody i was 13 /14 at the time. after living there for a while i got in a huge fight with my older cousin ( male ) he almost got violent with me & that day was when i decided i couldn’t take it there anymore because my grandma was also treating me bad, the next day after school i ran away to mexico with my mom and i’ve been here ever since. i was born in the US and i have all my papers . my plan is once i turn 18 i’ll be going back to the states ( im from texas ) to get my ged and start a career, i want to know what could i be risking? or what can they do to me once i’ve crossed ? i only ran away nothing else, can i go to jail? what consequences could i be facing?

1 Lawyer Answer
Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: If anyone were to face criminal charges (or contempt) in this situation it would most likely be your mom. If you come back to the States before your 18th birthday any adult you stay with could be charged with Harboring a Runaway Child.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.