San Diego, CA asked in Landlord - Tenant for Oregon

Q: My tenants one year lease is up in May. If I raise the rent 9.8% (meaning under the limit) and they choose not to renew

If they choose not to renew their lease, do I need to pay the relocation fee?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Katherine Goodman
Katherine Goodman
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Hillsboro, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: IF this is a lease for an Oregon rental premises, you are required to submit the proposed new rental agreement to your tenant at least 60 days prior to the ending date of the term. If they chose not to continue the lease at the end of the term, no you do not have to pay a relocation fee. IF this is a lease for an Oregon rental premises and you evict them without cause you would have to pay relocation fee.

I would recommend consulting with an Oregon Landlord and Tenant Attorney in regards to the notice being given and about the rent increase to make sure you are in compliance. If this if for another state you will need to speak with a Landlord and Tenant Attorney who practices in that state.

Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.