Atlanta, GA asked in Divorce for Georgia

Q: I am trying to help a friend get a divorce. She lives in China. He is in jail in North Carolina (married in Georgia).

She can not get a visa since she applied for a green card before he was incarcerated in Federal prison in 2013 for 10 years. They were married in Georgia since that is where he lived. Now he is in a North Carolina Federal prison. I have a copy of her Chinese Passport and their Marriage License as well as his Federal Prison number and location information.

How can she get a divorce?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robbie Levin
Robbie Levin
  • Marietta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: There are some questions that would need to be answered before determining where the divorce petition would need to be filed. Regardless, we can probably get the divorce done without her being present.

Feel free to contact me if you'd like. My office number is (770) 575 2522.

For more information visit my website at

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.