Tampa, FL asked in Contracts and Products Liability for Florida

Q: Can I sue to get my money back and give back the car?

I purchased a vehicle from a used car dealer, I asked prior to the purchase if there were any mechanical issues that needed to be addressed sooner rather than later, I was told no the car is perfect. I’ve fixed everything that needed to be repaired. I paid the $3,000 and I drove the car off the lot and less than 10 miles down the road the steering wheel locked up and the brakes went out, then it died. The dealer has since blocked my number and is not returning my calls. I had to have the car towed to my house. What are my legal options in this situation?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You need to consult an attorney handling consumer protection matters in person, in order to show the purchase agreement and go through the whole story. One issue is whether you signed an "AS IS" contract (an unwise thing to do). If you did, that would present an obstacle to recovery, though in limited circumstances, an obstacle that could be overcome. An attorney will analyze your situation to determine if there can be claims for breach of contract, fraud, and/or deceptive and unfair trade practices. Also, sometimes an attorney's demand letter will get the dealer to the negotiating table, with dealers sometimes offering to put the consumer into a different vehicle.

Bruce Alexander Minnick and Tim Akpinar agree with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.