Asked in Child Support for Alabama

Q: Can the biological father be responsible for cs if another man intends on claiming paternity?

I'm soon to be having a baby and know who the bio father is but he has been absent and not in contact since the first couple months of the pregnancy. I have been in a relationship with another man for the majority of the pregnancy and he is happily willing to claim paternity of this child despite it not being his. Would I be able to obtain child support from the child's biological father if this other man claims paternity of my child at birth. If child support can be obtained from the child's biological father how would I need to go about getting it set up.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kristine Jones
Kristine Jones
  • Montgomery, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: Hello. Whomever is listed on the birth certificate or signs an acknowledgment of paternity will be the man responsible for child support, unless there is a court action to prove otherwise. Falsely putting a name on a birth certificate or paternity acknowledgement will only create an expensive mess to correct later, through court action and only court action will correct it. When you file for child support against bio dad, you can get a paternity test in that court action to have him declared the father and pay child support/handle custody. You can call your county DHR office or hire an attorney, and you can start the process AFTER the child is born. Best of luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.