Fort Lauderdale, FL asked in Tax Law for Florida

Q: I just became an independent contractor. I read somewhere I only file state taxes if my income is minimum $400?

What about sales tax reporting? When and how do I do that? Read about reporting something quarterly. Is that if I make more than $400 yearly. I'm purchasing baby equipment to rent to traveling families. I use the company BabyQuip as platform and use their insurance. They only give a 1099 form to those that make min 20k profit.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Tallahassee, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: The empty feeling you are experiencing is caused by fear of making big mistakes that will adversely affect your new business.

Why not contract with an experienced Florida lawyer to be general counsel to your small business NOW-before the state taxing authorities come calling?

Investing a few hundred dollars (tax deductible) in competent counsel will reduce the likelihood of errors and also give you some peace of mind as you focus on selling your products or services.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.