Tulsa, OK asked in Tax Law for Oklahoma

Q: In the decree my ex gets half of my 503b. Do I half to pay a tax penalty? I'm not trying to early withdraw.

I only agreed to the 50% for him because my atty said it would be from the date I moved out, not from the day he finally signed the divorce papers (3 yrs after I filed for divorce- I left in August 2016- divorce paper signed Dec 2019).

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
D. Mathew Blackburn
D. Mathew Blackburn
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Englewood, CO

A: You have to use a Qualified Domestic Relations Order (QDRO). Transfers subject to a domestic relations order are not subject to penalties but you have to do it correctly. Once the account rolls over to the other party if they then distribute money or anything else it's just like nay other transaction. It;s just the transfer subject to divorce that's exempt.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.